In this article, the authors examined the genetic and environmental factors influencing expressive language development in a sample of 386 toddler twin pairs participating in the Wisconsin Twin Project. Expressive language was assessed using 2 measures from the MacArthur Communicative Development Inventories-Short Form: Total Vocabulary and Two-Word Combination Use (L. Fenson et al., 2000). A sex-limitation structural equation model estimated the contribution of genetics, shared environment, and nonshared environment to individual variation. For vocabulary, heritability was higher for boys than for girls (20% vs. 8%). For word combination use, heritability was higher for girls (28% vs. 10%). However, the majority of individual variation in both boys and girls could be attributed to shared environment (54%78%).
KEY WORDS: twins, language, toddlerhood, gender differences
Submitted on September 23, 2002
Revised on February 18, 2003
Accepted on December 16, 2003
This article has been cited by other articles:
A. H. Charity
African American English: An Overview
Communication Disorders and Sciences in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations, July 1, 2008; 15(2): 33 - 42.
[Abstract] [Full Text] [PDF]